Saturday, December 31, 2011

Traveling thwarts the diehard

We embarked on a pilgrimage to the Holy Land this holiday season; that is, we came home to the Seattle area to visit family and friends

We've had a great visit.

Unfortunately, my traveling companion unwittingly booked our incoming flight during Seattle's home finale against the 49ers.

I had hoped to remain oblivious of the outcome until I reached the house of my mom, who had dutifully DVRed the contest. I had intended to watch the showdown between the NFC West's top two teams with the same suspense enjoyed by those who watched it live.

Although I wore my Seahawks #71 jersey that day, we made it through the flight, the terminal, and baggage claim without learning the result of the game.

Then, in the elevator to the parking garage, some guy remarked, "Tough game, huh?"

Knowing that Seattle had lost drained me of all motivation to watch the game during our visit. I chose instead to spend the time with family and friends. I'll watch it and perhaps post on it when I get back to the desert Southwest.

Obviously, I'm disappointed that we lost, though I'm heartened that the Seahawks snapped San Francisco's impressive streak of denying rushing touchdowns and holding opposing runners to less than 100 yards. That salvaged some modicum of dignity.

I'm also psyched that some Seahawks will get to soar to Hawaii to play in the Pro Bowl.

Tomorrow's game matters. Seattle needs to beat Arizona to eke out a .500 record, the only way to make the case that the team made real progress this year. I hope to see Seahawks play with passion as they make the case to keep their roster spots in 2012.

However, I won't see tomorrow's game live, either. My traveling companion unintentionally booked our return flight during Seattle's season finale against Arizona. I hope no one tells me how it turns out until I get home and watch it.

I can't believe the bad luck that has afflicted me this season. Tomorrow will mark the fourth game this year that I haven't been able to see live. Before this season, I hadn't missed a regular season game since... 2002?

2 comments:

  1. I was also unable to watch the AZ game live (I'm in Mexico), though I was able to stream the 49ers game. I DID watch the ESPN game cast and live play-by-play. In the end, the same thing that did us in with the 49ers kept us from winning a winnable game: lack of quality quarterback play.

    To me, this season was a let-down from last year, despite the improved running game and defense. Why? We ended with the same record (7-9) but no play-off berth, nor play-off win. We had several winnable games this season that we lost in large part to lack of quarterback play: lack of smarts, lack of leadership, lack of decisiveness.

    The Tennessee Titans were able to go 9-7 and barely missed the play-offs this year despite having the second-to-last running game in the NFL, and a rookie head coach. They managed that due to quality quarterback play. What would #8 have been able to do with a quality run game and a ferocious young defense? Probably won at least one more game and taken a wild card berth, if not taken the AFC South division (the Texans lost their final three games).

    What if he'd played for the 'Hawks? Would Seattle have lost the two close games to the 49ers (yes, the first one WAS close, until lack of offensive production gave SF's quality punt returner too many chances with the ball)? Would the Seahawks have lost to Atlanta and Washington and Cleveland and Cincinnati and Arizona? Would Mike Williams have degenerated to the non-factor he was this year compared to last? It's quite possible Seattle would be the winner of the division...if Hasselbeck hadn't been traded.

    This season was a lost/wasted opportunity. The next 2-3 years will probably be "re-building" ones as we groom some young QB. How we do that without a quality QB for him to back up, and without a coach known for grooming QBs is a mystery to me. I guess we'll just have to see (and hope for a little good fortune).

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Seattle had kept Hasselbeck, they'd be at least 9-7, maybe better, and possibly in the playoffs.

    #8 may not have survived the O-Line's frequent pass protection failures during the first half of the season. Hasselbeck takes fewer sacks because he throws the ball away judiciously, but he's more fragile than T-Jack, and likely would have suffered more from fewer hits, and therefore might have missed more games.

    #8 reads well and throws accurately with touch, factors that made Mike Williams relevant in 2010. Jackson's inferior skills in those areas hindered his ability to capitalize on the skills of big #17.

    Moreover, when Matt plays, he competes and contributes. Tarvaris Jackson plays not to lose; Hasselbeck plays to win. T-Jack didn't convert on any of 5 opportunities to wage a 1-score fourth quarter comeback. Hasselbeck would have won some of those games.

    ReplyDelete